View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-13, 13:42

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Ragbus,

If I were you, I'd look into magnesium supplements to help you with those health problems.

For your thyroid to work properly, you need magnesium. For your heart to beat properly, you need magnesium. It can also help keep your blood pressure down and it can also help with depression. In fact, some say that depression can come from low magnesium in the first place.

I gave up LC because I ended up with low magnesium, but didn't realize for a while. I just had a whole bunch of symptoms that turned out to be what they call "adrenal fatigue", which, in my book, are basically all caused by low magnesium.

Like all diets where you lose weight fast, on a low-carb diet you also lose a lot of water initially - which is when people also lose minerals, especially magnesium, potassium and salt. I think this happened to me and then the magnesium wasn't replaced because the LC diet is not very high in magnesium (Atkins recommends supplementing with magnesium), certainly not in the initial stages of Atkins.

Eventually, I suffered from low blood sugar and was dizzy every morning. I switched to Schwarzbein and started taking magnesium supplements and looking after myself better.

Now I think I also have low thyroid function and LC just doesn't work for me because I end up with low blood sugar and feel really spacey.

Going very low-carb doesn't work very well for a lot of people who are hypothyroid, so I would really look into this carefully.

What are the 12 meds you are taking?

Good luck, though, whatever you decide to try!

Amanda