Old Wed, May-10-06, 13:43

Plan: Al Sears
Stats: 310/190/180 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygrady
I am just starting my LC journey and am having difficulties meshing this WOL with my athletic interests and goals. I am a 41 year old female martial artist who I stumbled upon both this WOL, as well as this forum, while researching inflamation. After much research and reading, I began this WOE about two weeks before Easter. First I noticed my knees immediately stopped hurting and then my skin cleared up for the first time in my life (confirmed that this works at a cellular level). I fell off the wagon at Easter partly due to the holiday and partly due to the dip in the quality of my training.

I find that I can train and perform fine when I am working out on my own, when I go at my own pace. My problem is that while I am in class, I am finding that after the first 30 minutes or so, the quality of my kicks are suffering. Yes, I can continue, but there is no explosiveness to them, they begin losing their snap, their quickness, they feel heavy. It feels like the muscles are not firing with as much intensity. My training has not changed, only my diet. When I go back to a more SAD, I regain my quickness, but the quality of my skin diminishes. So I know the internal effects are probably worse.

I also lift weights-have for about the last 15 years. I am currently weight training on M-W-F-SA doing 1 body part a day for 9-12 heavy sets. Each lifting session lasts about 30-40 min. My martial arts training is 1 hour in the dojang M-T-TH and a less intense practice session at home on W-F-SA lasting anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 depending on what I am working on-again, these are less intense.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can at least maintain my current schedule while still getting all of the health benefits that this WOL offers me???

Thanks for all your suggestions and input!!

Sandy

Hello, fellow martial artist... I, too, know how it feels to walk into the kwoon/dojo/dojang and have my training suffer because of the low amounts of carbs I'm eating. It may be that your carb level is too low. Try increasing your good carbs a little. Eat some about an 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before you begin training. I used to be able to put 3 to 4 hours of training at least three times a week and then I had to cut back to about 1.5 hours 3x a week.

I would eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on a piece of low carb bread about an hour before training. This really helped me to get over that training hump.... The hardest part was during induction... I stopped going for the two-week period until I was able to get the carbs up to about 30 to 40 grams a day. But since you are very active, I don't think adding a little more carbs will hurt. But you will have to test it out and see how you feel and what results you are getting. The peanut butter and low carb bread gave me that added energy! Just an idea.

Happy training...

P.S. I have an outdoor Karate camp on May 19-21 and I will have to carb up a little more to be able to be effective. Those training sessions will be for 7 to 8 hours long with breaks in between. It will be outdoors and the temperature will be in mid to upper 80s! Some carbs and Gatorade will be at my side