#7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 23:55

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
I'd read that report a year or so ago but I reread it anyway. Those athletes who were able to compete with no carbs whatsoever has stayed in my mind. I think what happened there is the body was making sugar (gluconeogenesis) from muscle tissue or ingested protein. So the body still requires glycogen for efficient fat-burning. And the body never gets to the point of being able to work above 90% of maximum heart rate because the body can't manufacture sugar from protein fast enough.

Just a guess.

Perhaps you missed this part of the study:

Quote:
At this high level of energy expenditure, it is notable that the second test was performed at a mean respiratory quotient of 0.72, indicating that virtually all of the substrate for this high energy output was coming from fat. This is consistent with measures before and after exercise of muscle glycogen and blood glucose oxidation (data not shown), which revealed marked reductions in the use of these carbohydrate-derived substrates after adaptation to the EKD.

So, no. Glycogen is not required for efficient fat burning. Also, from personal experience, I can tell you that the body can work above 90% MHR. I do it every time I run.