View Single Post
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 19:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default 10K Training Day 10 (Final jog workout before the race)

April 5

Today was a chilly workout (45°). That was actually a good thing because the forecast for Saturday is somewhere between 35° & 40° - so the conditions were similar. I wore sweat pants and a long sleeve compression shirt + a T shirt. It wasn't warm enough so I plan to go out and get a light jacket that I can jog in.

The results today were mixed. I ran a 5K (the most recommended by "experts" this close to race day) in 33 minutes. I had plenty of energy and I was not spent when I stopped jogging. If I can end up jogging the full 6.2 miles on Saturday I should be able to do it in under 70 minutes.

Now the bad news... Within the first mile my right hamstring and left quad started to tighten up. I did a warm-up walk but it was cold and windy. I may have started off too fast (I ran the first mile in 10 minutes 20 seconds). The hamstring calmed down during the second mile, but the quad bothered me for the rest of the 5K. I walked 6 warm down laps and it was finally happy by the time I was done. The lesson learned here is that I need to warm up well before the start of the race. It might also do me some good to get some sugar free gator aid into me before the race. I don't think I did anything major or lasting today. I should be ready to go on Saturday.

Walk at lunch today:

1.6 miles at 3.1 mph

Workout this evening:

1 mile walk at 3.5 mph
3 mile jog at 5.5 mph
1.5 miles at 3.6 mph

Total miles: 7.1
Duration: 109 minutes

I ate big today. 3000 calories, 180g of protein, and 55 net carbs. I will keep the calories and fat up and cut back on the carbs for the rest of the week. Saturday morning I plan on lots of CO in my coffee and some protein. No carbs before the race. I run on fat.