#12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 20:44

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
And guess what? That was my only symptom too (outside of not being able to lose weight after a while, and low body temp) -- and the tests showed that I was in fact, hypothyroid. I have a major reverse T3 problem, which means that although my TSH is normal and happily making T4, all my T4 is converting into RT3 instead of T3, which is what the thyroid actually needs to function well.

I am losing weight, so that isn't a symptom. It is happening slowly, but I am also running a very small calorie deficit. I figure that if I eat only a little less than I burn, I won't be hungry to speak of. So far, it is working.

I have a low temp, but I have read (and it makes sense to me) that this is associated with longevity, so I would not want to mess with it. Also, my temp has been low for years & the last time my cholesterol was checked (before low carb) it was normal, so I am inclined to think it is diet.

My theory right now is that I have very large LDL particles, which would raise the total weight of that fraction of the blood. I am inclined to ask for a fractional LDL measure, to look at the LDLs in more detail.

I'll ask the doctor to run the hypothyroid panel, though, what the heck.

Thanks, Beth