Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: vegan lowcarb (self-made)
Stats: 178/172/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Just wanted to clarify since I was one of the ones concerned with calories above that I have no problem with getting your nutrition from fat sources.

That's cool. I actually thought that was standard practice for virtually all low-carbers, but then when I started reading threads around here I noticed that some people are also pretty into limiting their overall calorie intake, so I just wanted to provide the relevant nutritional info for people of both persuasions.

Quote:
In the end, fattier foods carry more vitamins and minerals and tend to be nutrient dense.

Oh, absolutely! I've never really been into low-fat eating (or dieting), but it wasn't until I did all this nutrition research recently that I realized how true it is. If you want the V&M your body needs, you have to be prioritizing nutrient-dense foods in your diet, and this often means eating a good amount of fat (although maybe you could get by on lean meats? I don't really know and don't plan to put any time into researching that). I've become convinced that this holds even more true for vegans and vegetarians. Yeah, you could get a lot more of your daily V&M from vegetables, but most people just do not have the time, patience, dedication and stomach capacity to make that work for very long. And the thing with vegetables is that a lot of them are actually really nutrient dense per carb. The problem is that you have to eat such a ridiculous volume of them to capitalize on this.

Quote:
It's vitamins and minerals carried with a lot of sugar that would be more problematic for me.

So far I really have not come across anything that fits that description. Carb-dense foods are generally poor in V&M. There are some exceptions to the rule (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and some others do well in certain areas), but I'm finding it's a pretty good rule of thumb to say "if you care about getting V&M, do NOT fill up on carbs!"