#14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 22:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I have a coworker who runs marathons. Took it up in her early forties. She weighed 170 pounds at the time (5'6"), having dieted down from about 230 pounds. She gained weight after she started running. She got back up to about 200 pounds before she reined in her diet again. She's back down to about 180 now, I think.

To me she's Exhibit A in response to the argument that exercise causes weight loss. I suppose an advocate of CICO would say she just eats too much. I'd argue that if she starved herself, she wouldn't be able to run 26.2 miles in one go.

I think this is really common and I had exactly the same experience. If you're genetically programmed to be fat, running will enhance this and it has little to do with how you eat. It just causes a lot of inflammation and packs on pounds. I don't think being thin has to be the end all, though, and I don't believe in the "pounding on the joints" thing. I ran worst when I was thinnest and had the most injuries, including a really crazy, devastating one. I had my best time in a distance race (10 miler) at ca. 230 pounds. I ran injury-free at that point. I love running, though, but I do it sparingly now, purely as a lark.