View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 11:34

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/183/182 Male 187
BF:
Progress:

Hey Gypsybyrd!

Weight loss and strength training at the same time are perfectly-correlated goals. Charles Poliquin says that for every pound of muscle gained, there is a pound of fat lost. That's what he observed in female trainees over the years!

Sticking to either of this approaches (low or high rep) will not get you as far as you might have gone by combining them. I am trying to introduce you to the concept of periodization.
This is what I use in my training after years of jumping between low reps and high reps.

Periodization is basically switching from one approach to another. There are different tactics and one of the best ones is described by Poliquin in his work. See if that works for you:

http://www.bodybuilding.dk/files/at...%20football.pdf

One final thing. With weight loss you would like to concentrate on higher amount of reps, rather than lower. It helps to activate the most of your motor units (hence utilize the muscle to its full extent), resulting in EPOC (Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption; referred by other user as "making you hungrier") and strength growth.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your training!

Stay Healthy