View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 03:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/217/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Yes. It was horrible. I don't know why but it was heavy, leaden and just not right. It didn't rise nearly as well as it does in the microwave. For some reason it rises really well in the microwave, is far lighter in texture and much more like real soda bread.

I'm surmising here, but maybe it is because with the lack of flour you need a very fast rise or else the other ingredients become too cooked before rising is complete and it doesn't 'lift' the ground almonds, which are quite a bit heavier than flour.

In the microwave it starts to rise very quickly and rises very high before sinking back a little to a good height. In the oven it rose a little but stayed much flatter - it was about half the height of the microwaved version.

BTW I see above I forgot to say how much water to add. What you do is mix all the other wet ingredients, then add enough water to almost double the volume in the cup - or in whatever container you are using. It makes quite a sloppy mix when you add that to the dry ingredients.