View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: zone
Stats: 205/165/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:

I believe you wholeheartedly that the Schwarzbein program didn't help your pcos symptoms. What I am saying is that the Schwarzbein program is the way you should be able to eat. If you can't then you need medical treatment. In Dr. Vliet's book, It's Your Ovaries, Stupid, she talks about how low estradiol is at the root of the problems in pcos. Doctors do not know this as they are not taught it in medical school. They do not test estrogen and progesterone, even though these are ovarian hormones and it's in the name, polycystic ovarian syndrome. Having low estrogen, particularly estradiol, causes the insulin resistance and low thyroid symptoms that force you to have to do a very low carb diet like Atkins. Getting proper treatment so your hormones get back in balance allows you to live NORMALLY. I can now eat the zone or Schwarzbein way because of treatment. When you workaround it with diet, you are possibly lowering your insulin (temporarily) but you are also burning out your adrenal glands and throwing other hormone systems out of balance. The key to being healthy is hormonal balance and having your cells respond to insulin the way they are supposed to. Just because you stop eating, doesn't mean you've done anything to help the way your cells RESPOND to insulin which is what needs to be fixed for you to be well. If you really want to help your pcos, read this book. I cannot explain all of it the way Dr. Vliet does.