View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 06:27

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Lately, I have been wondering about the amount of protein in my LC diet and it's possible effect on the slowness of my weight loss. So, I have been looking at the suggested protein intakes for programs such as Atkins, Protein Power, Rosedale, etc.

I went through indexes for protein to look up suggested amounts. For the original Atkins and Rosedale, no suggested amounts are given. The Westman et all NAFNY provides a chart of recommended daily allowances for men and women by height. A similar chart is in Protein Power Life Plan. (I deliberately avoided the ketogenic books.)

I went back to my original Protein Power (1996) which has a detailed method of calculating protein requirements based upon age, gender, height, weight, hip and waist measurements (with an additional wrist measurement for men) as well as an activity factor. It is the most detailed method of calculating body fat weight/%, lean body mass weight/% and ideal body weight for age and gender that I have seen in the LC books I have read.

From these calculations, they make recommendations on daily protein consumption in grams, and give detailed charts on what to eat to meet these daily minimum/maximum ranges.

I followed PP in 2006 when I lost 80 pounds, but basically paid no attention to my protein consumption --I was so obsessed with my carb consumption. In fact, as I have watched myself put back 30 pounds, I have never attributed it to my protein consumption. I blamed it on carbs and calories

The protein consumption charts in NAFNY and Protein Power Life Plan are far more liberal on protein allowances compared to my calculated amounts.

I have recently gone back to the original PP and calculated my stats again to find my minimum protein requirement and my range. I was shocked to find that I was usually eating more protein in one meal than was recommended for the entire day!

I have been fussing over my slow weight loss on <20 total grams carb. I may be over-consuming protein.

The suggested protein allowance derived from PP is not as low as is suggested in the Ketogenic diet books. So, it's worth a try to see what happens.

Anyone else suspect excess protein consumption might be slowing their rate of weight loss?