View Single Post
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:16
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

Hey Isa, I'm 63, and started my hot flashes when I had a complete hysterectomy to get rid of cancer way back in 1989. I took estrogen therapy for years, but since I moved to Tennessee (9/2002) I don't have medical insurance, so I stopped all medications. The happy news is tht the side effects from the estrogen are gone, i.e. migraine headaches and weight gain to mention just two. Now the hot flashes are a bother, but I try to embrace them as something my body does once in a while. I no longer fight them and get upset. I noticed that they come on when I am the slightest bit stressed, so I remind myself to calm down and take a couple deep breaths. I also read that in some cultures, women don't get hot flashes. I wish there was more research on this subject. I bought a couple of fans and when one starts I grab a fan. I even announce to anyone watching that I am having a hot flash. This seems to amuse people, and it helps me to feel that I'm ok. One thing about a hot flash, it makes you pay attention to your body! I can live with them...