View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-17, 01:11

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I can help with the distinction between type 1 and type 2.

Distinguishing characteristics

Type 1: No insulin + high blood glucose
Type 2: High insulin + high blood glucose

The often added "low insulin" for type 1 is misleading and gives the impression that more insulin is better than less. Type 2 clearly contradicts this impression. The statement in the illustration regarding type 1 "they can suffer from dangerously low blood glucose" is an error, in my opinion. It should read "they can suffer from dangerously high blood glucose", because that's what zero insulin allows to occur.

Quote:
Twenty years ago, when I began my investigative reporting on this subject, perhaps a dozen North American physicians were openly prescribing these diets to their patients. A handful of the researchers I interviewed admitted to using these diets – "It's a great way to lose weight," a renowned Stanford University endocrinologist told me, "that's not the issue" – but they would not prescribe them for their patients. The risk was too great. Hence their thinking: Eat Atkins until losing the excess pounds, then stop, regain the weight, repeat.

He's talking about really smart people who can't actuallly think it through. Question is, repeat what? Repeat going back to a diet that makes you fat and sick, that's what. This ain't just regain the weight, it's get sick again.
Quote:
"Maybe it's not that my patients aren't following my advice," as Dr. Wolver described her thinking. "Maybe my advice stinks."

A brain is a beautiful thing, ain't it? I mean, when it thinks it through.
Quote:
More importantly, health can be quantified by numerous measures, not just LDL cholesterol. It also seems a reasonable bet that being healthier in the short term translates to health in the long term. Excess weight, poor blood-sugar control (i.e., prediabetes or diabetes) and high blood pressure are all major risk factors for heart disease – and all improve on LCHF diets.

The converse is even more telling, i.e. being sick now means living longer?!? Here's another obviously obvious whatever. If you take meds - you're sick. Why else would you take meds?
Quote:
So here's another way to ask the critical question: Can a diet that has so many beneficial effects be unhealthy because it elevates LDL cholesterol or allows for the conspicuous consumption of a processed meat such as bacon? An acquaintance of mine puts this question in the proper perspective by asking why her friends never criticized her diet when she weighed 380 pounds, but now, having lost 140 pounds in less than a year eating the LCHF way, they caution her about the supposed dangers of eating bacon.

Blind to the facts. Happened to me a few times. One guy was telling me "and I know 5,000 doctors who would disagree", to my face, looking right at me, after I'd gone from 220lbs down to 175lbs. In effect, he was saying "I do not believe you actually exist".
Quote:
As of December 20, 2017, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this resolved by the end of January 2018. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback~theglobeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters~globeandmail.com.

Article published same date. Coincidence? Unlikely. That article is bound to trigger a boatload of comments. GnM is prolly not ready to handle that.

Great article. In short, Taubes is telling the theoretical scientists to listen to the applied scientists.