Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 10:15
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapestry
I'm fully in the Atkins zone but I find myself reaching for cheese, nuts, and pork rinds. I'm not eating any of them in mass quantities. Cheese about 3 ozs, nuts about 1-3 per day and pork rinds an oz or 2 here and there.

However, I am not loosing and think I need to examine carb creep.

Any success stories to inspire me?

Did you drop [insert food name here] and have success getting back on the loosing track?

Yes. I went back to the book, and re-read the "Rules of Induction" and realized that *most* of my carbohydrate intake is supposed to be coming from vegetables - not things like mac nuts, too much dairy or what have you.

I started measuring my salad dressings - especially the goopy/creamy ones, and tossing my salads, caesar-salad style in a large mixing bowl before eating - this went a long way to minimizing the 'little carbs' a.k.a. 'carb creep' on the salad dressing front. Some of the thicker/creamier salad dressings don't coat the top of salads well..they just sit on top, leading some of us (well, me) to goop on too much. The 'tossing caesar salad style' and measuring with actual measuring spoons has helped quite a bit.

Also - made myself these silly worksheets, which I filled out, by hand, religiously for at least three weeks - where I had to account for my vegetable intake. So I had these charts that I printed off - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks etc. But there was a special 'section' where I had to itemize vegetables in the form of CUP 1, CUP 2, and CUP 3. Yes, I had to micromanage myself for a little while...

That's a lot of bulk and a lot of food - so it became easier - because with the additional servings of salad veggies and other acceptable veggies, I didn't find myself wanting the other stuff quite as much (ie. the creeps - pork rinds, nuts, snacky things like pepperoni etc).

I made 'announcements' in my journal a few months back - that every single day I was going to follow these new rules I'd set for myself: take my supplements, exercise every day (we're talking easy evening walks), get my vegetables and keep my carbs in line. Of course, 'keeping my carbs in line' meant that as much as I hated it - I had to get more familiar with the My PLAN software on this site - because if I wasn't measuring, and tracking and keying this stuff in - then how in the world would I know if I was meeting my daily goals?

In any case, I have since switched plans -from Atkins to Protein Power Life Plan - but I always focus on the lessons of Dr. Atkins - in particular, that *most* of my carbs are from vegetables, and not the other stuff.

You don't even need to look at this as having to drop certain things - if you make sure you're meeting the Rules of Induction and/or the Carb Ladder properly (whether you're on DANDR or on the old Atkins '72 plan, whether you're still in induction or have moved onto 'ongoing weight loss' - it's still all the same - follow those guidelines) - these carb creep issues will be relegated to the background.

What I'm saying is that no matter where you are - the Rules of Induction still apply first and foremost, and then the subsequent Carb Ladder etc.

Hope this helps a wee bit.