View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:36

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Fructose is "left handed"

That means it's chemical composition is the mirror image of glucose. This makes it more difficult for your body to break it down (it takes three reactions to get to the form that your body can use) so it is metabolized more slowly and therefore gives you a very gradual dose of sugar instead of a big whammie as the same amount of sucrose would.

It is also roughly 2/3 as sweet as sugar so you can use less of it and end up with less calories for the same sweetening effects. Many diabetics use Fructose because it does not affect your blood sugar the way other sugars do, but there are others who argue that because it is metabolized differently in your liver than in your muscles breking down in to triglycerides, it can cause elevated LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.

Read the link on the right of this page entitled "the truth about low carb sweeteners"

Another place I found good info was here:
http://www.siouxlandactiveseniors.c...3/fructose.html
Notice he says that "in the range of 15 to 20 percent of daily calories can lead to elevated triglycerides and higher levels of LDL cholesterol"

So if you use this ONLY for your frozen treats and don't overdo (as we have been with our fudgsicles lately) then you should be ok. I use this only in my ice cream and nowhere else and I try to keep that to 1/2 cup serving per day. I do know that it has more effect on me than sucralose or aspartame though and it will stall me if I get carried away.

MB