Old Fri, May-23-14, 12:03
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Yesterday I watched a video on youtube where a young britt did a 21 day experiment to see if he would gain weight on a 5000 calorie a day LCHF diet. He wanted to test the 'A calorie is a calorie' theory and see if he would gain any weight after eating such a massive number of calories from mostly fat and protein while keeping the carb count low. At the end of his 21 day period, it turns out he did gain a little weight. He said that by the 'calorie calculator' he should have gained around 15 lbs. His actual gain was somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds (he was giving stats in KG). However, in addition to weighing himself - he did a daily waist measurement. While he gained about 2 lbs - he lost about an inch around his waist (and he was already a nicely fit dude). He even showed a graph of his daily weights and measurements showing the slight but steady trend of gaining a little weight while losing a little around his waist. I thought it was a cool experiment.

So what do his final results mean? For one, it is clear that simply eating too many calories will not make you fatter. A calorie is not a calorie. Carb cals vs Protein/Fat cals do matter. But where did the extra pound or two go? My guess would be muscle mass. What ever it was, it did not appear to be fat.

About those extra few pounds on the scale that have you in a tizzy today... Since it sounds like you've stayed on track with LC diet, I'd say they those extra pounds are probably not fat either. I don't know if this makes you feel any better -- we want the scale to move in one direction at all times. But unfortunately, sometimes your body has other plans. It sounds like your body has some explaining to do.

Thanks for the encouragement. That is really interesting to hear someone's experience.

For my body DNA it doesn't hold water, if you know what I mean. Literally if I ate 5000 calories a day I would gain weight. I have done my little experiments with my body on the LC this year to test calorie intake. And my conclusion is cutting calories is needed. Oh but I would say I would love nothing more to eat 5000 calories a day since I am basically hungry most of the time because of the hormone fluctuations.

Calorie counting might be because I am insulin resistant, in remission of type 2 diabetes. So my body already has trouble converting food to energy.

I can say my skinny Italian sister (I am adopted not same DNA) could eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce. You should see how skinny she is and she is 10 years older than me. So Jealous of her!

Be nice if it was muscle mass. Really not sure what it is. Other than my body throwing a teeze saying no I am not going to get smaller. LOL...

Be better if it was fluid retention... Then I just pee my way down