#19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 10:02

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
A problem for me here is that I only have the thought experiment to work from. I don't think it's clear that carbs are the problem in this particular instance, while obviously I think they are a problem in certain contexts, or what would I be doing here? As far as quicker recovery of lean mass goes, I think what there's the most evidence for here is increased, better quality protein compared to the diet they were refed (the same poor quality diet of the restriction period, but in unlimited quantities) paired with some sort of resistance training.

Teaser, it might interest you that in the Minnesota study the various diets used in the rehabilitation period were all very HIGH carbohydrate - in fact they were 67% CHO calories. The fat component was only 17% to 19%.
During the semi-starvation period the various diets were also very HIGH carbohydrate varying from 66% to 71% CHO calories with protein between 12% to 13%
I obtained these data directly from Volume II of the study report by Ancel Keys et al, 'The Biology of Human Starvation', Tables 520 - 524 and 527 to 544