View Single Post
  #805   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 18:51

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I was searching for my collection of studies, including the one on glycogen depletion. I have to deal with cyclone damage right now, so it may be awhile before I can resume the search. I should not even be dealing with the thread, but feel I must.

50 gms? I have no idea what people who say they are on a low carb diet are really eating- unless they tell me they are not losing and ask me why, then I ask them to tell me exactly... in fine detail... each and every bit, water included, which passes their lips. Some people do not get fat no matter what they eat, some may lose BF on 100 gm/day- Atkins gave that as one of his 'levels' in the second edition. Some few may be able to tolerate 50 gm or even 20 gm. BUT most who are obese, I mean not just a few kg overweight, need to go down to 5 gm (or less if possible). Ill health? I never followed anyone who was on any LC diet for long enough to evaluate whether it was bad or good for their health- that might take 10 years or more.

Quite frankly I have never known anyone other than a very few who could follow the LC regime even for a full year without returning to their old dietary habits. Those who make it past a year generally have been in the <5 gm regime. Remember, I have been telling people about this way of life for very long time, and have had contact over that period with a great many who have attempted it.

Calculus? Only really noticeable if I am drinking mineralised water, and even that was back before I lost function in my salivary glands. I usually drink/drank only rainwater. Calculus is basically the calcium salts present in saliva depositing on the teeth, it generally requires scraping with a tool to remove- brushing does little even with a hard toothbrush. It is not damaging unless you ingest carbs, which hang in it and feed caries-bacteria, which also get into it. Carnivores can ignore the deposits if they don't mind have cruddy-looking teeth- and perhaps worse breath due to meat-putrifying bacteria which will cause odour, but do not damage the enamel.

In my experience, no one af any age has had problems keto-adapting by going directly to a zero-carb regime. Books are written by people who are still in the cultural/social grip of the belief we must have carbs for health, energy, etc. This is false, and their recommendations are likewise... inappropriate.

Hey, ANYTHING which could increase growth hormone would be a godsend to older people, much of what is 'aging' and slow healing is due to the steady decline in HGH with age. The regrettable fact is there is NO SUCH THING, no matter what the author of a book and/or supplement manufacturers claim. You have to inject daily doses of synthetic hormone to raise your levels by any amount. 1/4 litre of beer? Get serious!

loops- If you eat at least a POUND of red meat a day, trust me, you will get all the Ca you need or can use. The body is very conservative with minerals as well as proteins. If you ate only meat from childhood you would have super-dense bones as did ALL the stone age Inuit. Recommendations for Ca in supplements use data based on chemicals, not bioactive Ca compounds. If you still feel some sort of Ca based fear, then take hydroxyapatite (or chew on bones)- it is better than mineral Ca, but is only a fraction as effective as the bioactive Ca in muscle tissues. The Ca in vegetables is practically worthless, it is as bad or worse than the mineral kind.

However, keep in mind that excess Ca intake is definitely not good for your health. I do not fully understand why so many people on the thread seem to be so paranoid of everything and anything, seeking the most obscure reasons why NOT to become comfortable on this regime. I have eaten this way for nearly a half century. I do not take, nor have I ever, Ca supplements, and my bone density is through the roof- my dentist is completely gobsmacked by my dental x-rays. You do not 'drop' certain vegetable due to toxins, but because they are not (and I mean ALL vegetables/fruits) an optimum food for humans- as is indicated by the title of this thread. That vegetables can be taken as food, and it will not immediately kill you is not in contention. This is about the great benefits to be gained with a meat-only diet, which has no deficiencies of any kind- other than what might be termed 'entertainment value'. IMHO your 'glitch' is strictly mental and definitely NOT 'genetic'.

Alcohol is a social drug. It is a simple, easy to make and cheap, it is a body and brain damaging toxin- the metabolic waste of the fermenting organism. It is actually a carbohydrate, assigned a value of 7 cal.gm, nearly twice that of glucose, and is fattening. Furthermore, detoxifying it seriously interferes with the liver's normal processes. I gave it away after noting its effect on my weight training, which lasted for three days after drinking a single glass. I never drank much, maybe a single 4-6 oz glass with dinner, twice or three times a week. On testing- by reducing the amount taken to <2 oz, I still found the effect, so I no longer drink any alcohol. I have been informed that it is not PC on this forum to discuss anything 'illegal' so I will just leave it at this.