Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: General Controlled Carb
Stats: 225/180/180 Male 185 centimetres
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
Unfortunately the human mixed or omnivorous diet in 'recent' times- i.e., prior to today's dentistry- meant that virtually no-one had any teeth left in their head by the age of thirty. Many people, indeed most- died from abscessed teeth. Compare that to the animals whose diet is either herbivorous or omnivorous, who do not have access to dentistry- they live a full lifespan without serious problems from their dentition. Say what you like, you cannot change truth into falsehood nor fables into reality: If we eat no carbs, our teeth will outlast us- no matter how long we live.

At risk of being accused of being one of those who must "defend their strongly held myths against all comers even if it means using contradiction and illogic and untruth." - a state of mind you seem to remarkably and blissfully avoid - can I recommend the works of Weston Price who found (contrary to your belief system) upon extensive examination that remarkable dental health was a common feature of many hunter gatherer societies regardless of whether they ate an omnivorous diet (as the majority did) or a largely carnivorous one.

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...ary_wisdom.html

Stefansson also noted this feature of those Inuit populations who did include significant quantities of vegetable matter in the diet (at least on a seasonal basis) - a feature which certainly wasn't limited to those that subsisted on meat and fish alone.

Speaking of Stefansson, he says at the end of his essay about his long term meat eating experiences "Adventures in Diet" ;

"So you could live on meat if you wanted to; but there is no driving reason why you should."

Since this is a paleo low carb forum, I'm sure you will find broad agreement that you can survive on meat alone - Stefansson proved it, your own experiences add weight to what he demonstrated. So that might explain why some here are interested to hear of any evidence that suggests abandoning a low carb omnivorous diet is either desirable or necessary.