View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-08, 09:15

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%

Hi! Good to see another Schwarzbein person. I've read SP2, but honestly, I stick with SP1, more or less.

If you're walking slowly for 5 hours per week, somewhat/moderately active is probably the right category. Each week, I ride a vigorous "hills" program on a stationary bike for a total of 120 minutes, take an hour-long martial arts class (which is killer), and walk and lift weights another 2-3 hours, and consider myself moderately active. If I fit in another hour of walking or biking in the nice weather, maybe "active" would be more appropriate.

I don't measure whether I'm in ketosis or not. I assume that I often am, because the amount of carbs I eat doesn't give my body the full amount of glucose it needs. From what I can figure out, the doc wrote SP2 because a lot of people were taking SP1 and cutting carbs far lower than she had intended; down to Atkins induction levels and below. While those levels and constant ketosis may be healthy and beneficial for many, she thinks they can put too much strain on the adrenals. My completely personal opinion is that she backpedaled too much with SP2.

I still drink coffee, though I'm trying to gradually lower the amount.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about a dozen years ago and was on Metformin from 2006 until I weaned myself off of it in January. This week I had the first set of medication-free blood glucose tests I've had since eating LC and ditching my drugs, and my numbers were normal (lower than on Metformin, in fact). They could still improve significantly, though, and I hope that they will as I continue eating nutritious foods in the right proportions.

Thanks for asking this question. It made me pick up my copy of SP1 again and page through it, and I realize that I've really let my carb count get low (from an average of 62 total grams -- including non-starchy veg and fiber -- in January to about 40 grams now). I'm going to adjust that.