Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 23:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

hi there Big Red, a.k.a. Dec.Angel,

I understand your worry about the high blood lipid readings, but it's not helpful to give us information that's inaccurate if you want us to help you. According to posts under the previous name, there have been episodes of going out of control with carbs, junk food binges, and losing your resolve. I think we can see where the high triglyceridese are coming from. Carbs = sugar = the "glyceride" part of triglycerides.

Have a look at this article from the Mayo Clinic about high triglycerides. You'll see the very first recommendation for lowering triglyceride levels is to * Cut out sugary foods, such as cookies and pop. In some people, this leads to a large decrease in triglyceride levels.

As for the cholesterol levels, I'd like to suggest to you that they're not as bad as you think. Here's a quote from the article What Causes Heart Disease? by Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD
Quote:
Men who have cholesterol levels over 350 mg/dl are at slightly greater risk for heart disease. For women, there is no greater risk for heart disease, even at levels as high as 1000 mg/dl. In fact, mortality is higher for women with low cholesterol than for women with high cholesterol.
It would be desirable to raise the HDL to over 40 mg/dl. Over 60 mg/dl is protective against heart disease. To raise your HDL, you need to eat more monounsaturated fat, in the form of olives and olive oil, avocadoes, raw nuts and seeds. Also, consume fatty cold water fish at least 3 times a week, or take fish oil supplements.

To lower the triglycerides, as mentioned above, NIX THE HIGH-CARBS; also eating more fatty fish or fish oil will be helpful, as well as flax oil. You might also consider taking a soluble fiber supplement, such as psyllium/ metamucil (make sure it's sugar-free) or bene-fiber. Consuming plenty of fiber from green and cruciferous vegetables is also helpful.

If you're interested in supplements that could be helpful, check out the recommendations from Supplementwatch.com.

Doreen