#1803   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 09:56

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
Anyone can sit around and preach to the Choir and smiley Glad hand with others of the same background. But to my way of thinking aren't we supposed to reach out to those who either do not believe or have questions about believing either in Christianity or about believing in the first place?

I do not question to mock or belittle or shock people, but I have questions about my faith, my belief and Christianity in General. I find it odd that so many Christians cannot tell me at least why they believe what they believe. They can and will tell you that they believe and that you should believe too, but not why they believe what they believe.

I know as a believer there will always be more questions that answers, or so it would seem. And I know it is called a mystery of faith. But it seems to me there are so many that will flat out cut you off or even shun you if you dare to ask questions. Or worse yet if you happen to be not of their Religion. This I find odd...

Prof -- we're on the same page. Do you happen to know of any online discussion forums where apologetics, doubts, and (especially) biblical authority are discussed honestly without judgement? It's so hard to have a straightforward conversation about these things without Christians getting sanctimonious.

I'd like to take an objective look at evidence for and against the faith. Christians seem to go into panic mode when I start asking about evidence. It seems to me that Christianity should be able to stand up to scrutiny. If not, then we need to keep looking. When I've suggested that to Christians they look at me like I've said something horribly heretical and mumble about praying for me. To my way of thinking, we are duty-bound to seek out God as He exists rather than relying on assumptions about His nature.