#6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 10:41

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I can understand the confusion if your palate isn't seduced by some of these Frankenfoods, but it's true. Particularly some of the processed foods that come in bags and can be found in the middle aisles with the potato chips. The calculated crunch with a release of flavor that combines salt and a hint of sweet tastes in the background all releasing a starch concoction with advertising that challenges, "bet you can't eat just one." Oh, yes, it's out there in force and has been for many years. The cost of the research that has identified the unique combination of flavors that have this effect on people could provide sound nutrition counseling for thousands and thousands of people for quite a while. Yep, there's a reason all that money is spent, and it's not to make healthy whole foods available to the population.

I understand about the research, and the manipulation. I am just bewildered that intelligent adults (not talking about children here) are so seduced by sub standard food.
As well as having had an old fashioned mother, I suppose I need to be grateful that I was very sensitive to salty tastes when I was younger, so chips and popcorn, (and even bacon!) didn't appeal to me much. And, at the tender age of 12, I embarked on a bet with myself to eliminate added sugars in my food (I was attending Irish boarding school at the time, and the food was dismal; adding sugar made it edible, but I wanted to see if I could get by for a month without doing so). So, not low carbing, not even being really aware of the health consequences, just 12 year old stubbornness. I did it; it was horrible, but I did it. At the end of the month I almost made myself vomit with the sugar I poured onto everything, and have never been particularly fond of sweet things since. Both those facts - not liking salt or sweet much - appear to have saved me from bad consequences, as I really like to eat, and it was necessary to learn how to cook good food to my own taste if I wanted to do so.