View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-29-09, 17:02

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Thanks for your continued posting of articles & information as you stumble across them, Demi.

Quote:
Research has indicated that the skin produces about 10,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D in response to 20-30 minutes of summer sun exposure.
Is this accurate? I've come across sources that say it is higher recently. I read recently on the D council web-site that Holick (the D guru) now believes it's more like 20K IUs.

Quote:
Vitamin D and Mental Illness

Holick now believes that a full body minimal erythemal dose of summer sunlight at noontime produces 20,000 IU of vitamin D.
Holick M. Personal communication. August 2003.
Quote:
Obviously vitamin D is important for health, but the amount you need from the Sun is always less than for tanning or burning,” says Ed Yong, the health information manager at Cancer Research UK. “We know that casual exposure is enough for vitamin D production and recommend 10 to 15 minutes a day.
If only they knew the secret that D deficiency itself is part of the burning vs. tanning conundrum. It's the whole chicken or the egg scenario.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Human Nutrition Research Centre (of the Medical Research Council), which informs the Government on diet and nutrients, acknowledges that vitamin D deficiency is a policy poser. Dr Inez Schoenmakers, the senior scientist leading work on vitamin D metabolism, says that it is possible, but difficult, to get all our vitamin D requirement from food.
At least she said difficult, but still ... "You know what I mean?" If we're talking adequacy in terms that Vieth discusses, we're nowhere close to meeting the daily requirement with food alone.