#824   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 08:23

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear

loops- If you eat at least a POUND of red meat a day, trust me, you will get all the Ca you need or can use. The body is very conservative with minerals as well as proteins. If you ate only meat from childhood you would have super-dense bones as did ALL the stone age Inuit. Recommendations for Ca in supplements use data based on chemicals, not bioactive Ca compounds. If you still feel some sort of Ca based fear, then take hydroxyapatite (or chew on bones)- it is better than mineral Ca, but is only a fraction as effective as the bioactive Ca in muscle tissues. The Ca in vegetables is practically worthless, it is as bad or worse than the mineral kind.

However, keep in mind that excess Ca intake is definitely not good for your health.

Bear -

this is definitely a problem for me then, as I am eating very high fat, and moderate protein. For me that means that I will have say 3-4 oz of meat at a meal but with a lot of added fat if the meat isn't fatty enough (like chicken etc). Breakfast is hard for me - I usually manage about 2 eggs with lots of butter but don't have an appetite at this time.

This is what I don't understand - how can I eat high protein and high fat? It is one or the other and I really can't eat that much protein or I don't feel great. A pound of red meat, unless I suppose it is ridiculously fatty is too much protein for me.

I too don't think too much calcium is good - I actually think magnesium is more important, but the two minerals do need to be balanced. I don't have issues with a low calcium diet - just a low magnesium one.