#230   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 10:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolina
I guess the thing is, I'm not primarily interested in losing weight. Neither is one of the new posters on the JK threads, who's used a diet that's similar to the Optimal Diet to recover from MS.

Well I *am* interested in losing weight. Heck, I currently weigh 284 pounds! How could I *not* be interesting in losing weight? But I have a totally different mindset about it now. In previous diets my goal was to *lose weight*, in any way possible. I low carbed before, but the main advantage to low carb to me, at the time, was that it was an easy diet to stick to. Even when I went on strict paleo it was solely in an effort to try to break a long stall, and not for any perceived health benefits.

I mean there are still plenty of low carbers like that even now who, like my sister, think that sugar-free Jello topped with a big glob of Cool Whip, is an acceptable LC treat.

But now my thinking has totally changed on that. I do want to lose weight, but I also want to be healthy and whole. I want my body to *heal*. I've come to realize that the weight loss I desire will probably never happen as long as my system is out of whack. So my main focus now is on whole health and healing - with the hope (and assumption) that weight loss will occur too, as a result.

Quote:
Those of us who are dealing with serious health concerns, in ourselves or our loved ones, are often willing to do a lot... no fooling.

Yeah, having a health issue to confront sure often brings us up short. What a shame that so often this is the case for many of us, who could have been eating more Optimally for a long time - but didn't even bother to give it much thought as long as live and health seemed unimpaired to any great degree.

Quote:
It's interesting to follow the discussion on Hyperlipid and 180 Degree Health. (Although I cracked up when I first read that Matt Stone says he's doing "high-fat Schwarzbein," because Diana Schwarzbein comes across as a total "chick writer" to me. I would never have guessed he was a fan.)

I know Matt Stone is considered a "lightweight" by some. But he has a young, hip, writing style that might appeal to certain people - my son being one of them. And whatever gets people to the table .... so to speak. And, of course, he writes in English. And also, the more people out there promoting the benefits of this sort of eating style, putting it out there more to the public, can only be a good thing IMHO.

And while Matt Stone clearly does not have *years* of successfully treating patients (he was not even *born* when JK began with his theories, and he is no doctor) what he does bring to the table is some years of experience as a chef at some nice restaurants.

For an eating plan that, let's face it, *does* really demand a lot of home cooking and home eating to be able to stick to Optimal levels, Matt Stone's e-book, 'The 180 Kitchen (180 Tips, Recipes and more)' is useful to have in your arsenal. Since his eating recommendation coincide nicely with JK's the recipes provided are mostly quite Optimal - and give lots of great tips just on cooking techniques, stocking your kitchen, etc. that really can help make the plan more liveable.

I may have to try *his* recipe for Chicken Liver Paté the next time I make it.