View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-14, 11:40
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I started a walking routine last May as a 375 pound, 51 year old guy with achy feet, lower back issues and sciatic nerve pain. Before that, I was a fully committed couch potato. I started out at doing 3 or 4 half mile walks per week -- and at a snails pace, I might add. That was about all I could do. But it didn't take long before I could do more. It didn't take long before I started feeling the benefits all day long. I started having more stamina, more energy, and less aches & pains. To make a long story short, I now walk 2 or 3 miles a day 4 to 6 times a week. I'm walking about 3 mph, and at my weight -- that is good enough to get my blood pumping. I still have lower back pains and sciatic nerve issues with from time to time -- but they have not gotten worse -- they've gotten better. I've lost weight at a steady clip over the summer, too (35 pounds or so). I can't say that I love doing my walking routine. I don't think I will ever "love" exercise. But I do love how it has greatly improved my quality of life and in such a short period of time, too. Living the LC WOE gives me plenty of energy and walking is a nice way to burn some of it off. If an old tub like me can do it, then most anyone else can as well.

I've always known that walking is good for you. Nice to see from the studies that it is as beneficial as running but w/o the additional risk of injury. I was a committed jogger back in my early 20's -- but I think my running days are behind me. A good walk a couple of times a week is all I need.