View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 12:30
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You clearly know a lot more about this subject than me. All I can really report is what I did and what happened. But if I miss the right details (such as fat composition), I may miss the cause & effect relationship (if there is one).

When I got my worse "bad cholesterol" number (LDL-C 243) in March 2015 my lipids were the following in the weeks before the test:

Total fat: 148g
Saturated: 53g
Mono Unsat: 56g
Poly Unsat: 17g

Prior to my December 2015 NMR (LDL-C 162):

Total fat: 132g
Saturated: 38g
Mono Unsat: 46g
Poly Unsat: 32g

And this last NMR in March 2017 (LDL-C 62)

Total fat: 171g
Saturated: 50g
Mono Unsat: 58g
Poly Unsat: 39g

In December 2015 I was really working on keeping my saturated fat down. I was avoiding CO. I lighted up on the saturated fat restrictions after that, but with my dairy free trail prior to that last NMR I was eating no dairy fat. Fat was coming primarily from meat, olive oil and CO. I try to avoid high omega 6 oils and have for some time. The only other oil I use is peanut oil on rare occasion for frying.

The shift up in polyunsaturated fat happened when I added flax muffins to my daily routine. They contain olive oil, flax, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and an egg as the base for all my muffins. My "bad cholesterol" has improved in line with my increase in polyunsaturated fat. However, I also increased fiber intake in each subsequent test. I also increased calorie consumption. My HDL was much better this past test when I wasn't eating dairy fat. So I still can't explain such a huge drop in LDL C & P. Who knows? Maybe eating at an energy surplus and not doing fasting of any kind had more of an effect than anything else. Our bodies have a lot of moving parts.