View Single Post
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 05:49

Plan: Atkins original diet
Stats: 245/210/175 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Some followup words

A lot of subtle info comes from this thread, lots of issues need to rise to the surface:

1) USA has the worst BC rate. Studies have indicted everything from various forms of carbs implying various contrived "good" and "bad" versions, eating fat, etc. "Studies" use dubious methods to achieve likely pre-conceived results by conveniently ignoring variables they don't want any attention paid to.

2) No one mentions the influence of drugs like Premarin and Prempro that have "conveniently" reappeared on the market with low-dose variations and warnings that they are NOT meant to be long-term HRT. Anyone want to venture a guess on a few points:

a) How much of the USA-based problem is actually directly traceable to HRT?

b) How much of a) is in turn worsened by the likes of too many carbs or too much fat or worse too much of both?

I think we can draw a few real conclusions:

A) Studies are funded by companies seeking ball-park results--Their ballparks. Been there too many times on things like the Cyclamates scare that first brought notariety to Dr. Atkins and made him the target of Big Sugar, and this was several years before the Diet Revolution books.

B) It's likely that anything that villifies Fats, especially saturated fats, totally ignores carbs which invariably are unhealthily high in these studies, assuming we can trust the reporting of people likely to be telling anecdotal "fairy tales" because they think they are pleasing the testers, etc. and telling them what they believe is wanting to be heard, etc. I am certain that too much saturated fats in the presence of too many carbs clearly makes BC far worse than if the diet consists of lots of fats and strictly controlled carbs, and the former is what the so-called "tests" actually used because they ASSUMED that it didn't matter.

C) It's likely that all forms of tumors already established do "better" [meaning at killing the patient!] by "feeding" the tumors carbs. The likely best treatment for existing cancers of this category is to go on the Stillman diet, i.e., protein fasts kill cancer.

D) Has ANYONE ever done any study to see whether or not the effects of chemotherapy are enhanced/weakened by diet, meaning low-carb or high-carb? It would seem that combining C) above and chemotherapy should do the best job.

On another, unrelated note: I just noticed perhaps a "final insult" to the craze of the low-carb, meaning the commercialization of fraudulent low-carb claims that are totally off of an Atkins regimen. A local supermarket is selling cheesecake branded as being claimed as the house brand of a well-known local restaurant in Brooklyn, NY called "Junior's". Long well known as a traditional delicatessen-style restaurant in New York, they have followed in the footsteps of other similar area food outfits such as Ratner's and now sell the cheesecake in semi-upscale supermarkets. Here's the nutritional info from the label of Junior's Low-Carb Cheesecake:

Serving size: 85 grams
Servings per package: 8 [It's not a big cake]
Carbohydrates per serving: 58 grams

That's OVER 2/3 carbs!

cjl (Gee, if that's the low-carb version, what would the REGULAR version be?)

ps: Now I'm confused: Isn't cheesecake made from cheese? [Cream cheese.] which is mostly fat?