#8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 21:19

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil878
I eat VLC - basically meat & eggs with occasional nuts thrown into the mix.

Early on if my training runs were over 2 hours I'd bonk. Now some of my training runs were 4+ hours. I'd generally have some coconut oil chocolates during the run to keep me going ... maybe an orange at christmas. A few times I'd have a gel or two while running since this was my race strategy. I try to stay in ketosis while running even when I was using gels.

The rest of my weekly workouts I'd have nothing. (They range from an hour run to an hour in the pool to a 90 minute spin class) I feel like now I could do any of my runs without any carbs no matter how long they are. I also do heart rate training though and my long runs are definitely easy runs, keeping my target heart rate around 140. If I was running with my heart rate at or close to my lactate threshold (for me in the 160's) I would expect I would bonk at some point after 2 or 3 hours, so maybe that's the difference.

As far as gaining weight, not really. Maybe some water weight the day after a 4 hour run. Your body releases a hormone in reaction to a large stress that causes water retention, so it's perfectly normal to gain. My DH runs 100 mile races and he often weighs more at the end of the race due to water retention. This is also why people who just start going to the gym often experience a gain in the first week.

I don't know what KWIM means.

That's really helpful information. KWIM means "know what I mean". I gain actual poundage whether or not doing lower than 20g carbs a day or not, but I can see it getting easier over time. I have only been running for two years.