View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 08:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
In the March 1, 2007, issue of the American Journal of Cardiology, the researchers say this is the first case, to their knowledge, of advanced coronary calcification in an otherwise healthy middle-aged male marathon runner who lacked traditional cardiac risk factors and had no symptoms of heart disease.
Well I find this hard to believe. Perhaps they mean cases fully documented in an official medical publication. Decades ago, the popular marathon runner and writer, Jim Fixx, dropped over of a heart attack, astonishing everyone.

Although I've actually run a marathon--you only have to do ONE to make it your claim to fame --I think distance running is abusive to the body, and something of an obsession for those who pursue it as a lifestyle.

A variety of regular exercises for strength and endurance will keep the body cranking along nicely--along with a healthy nutritional plan. In my case, that would be, now and forever, low-carb, with appropriate supplementation.

Quote:
His exercise treated the "warning symptoms" but not the problem.
It's possible that exercise masks rather than treats warning symptoms. In any event, it appears that additional diagnostic testing is recommended for some of us. Which of us remains to be figured out.

Many diseases progress without symptoms. Which is why we have mammograms, pap smears, prostate tests, and so forth. Go get 'em!