View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 22:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I have a BS in Animal Science-- basically a degree in feeding livestock......

FInd a copy of dr Atkins New Diet REvolution--- he will explain everything that you will understand--- everything that was not included in our nutrition classes.
Basically the government recommendations is com plete crap for those of us with IR. Insulin Resistance. We cannot eat a "balanced" diet and be well. Our body has been bombareded with insulin to the point that the cells will not accept it, and the build up of blood glucose will send MORE insulin but it too is useless.

The low carb diet by passes this energy system, and uses the fat burning system instead. Use body fat or use dietary fats, the body likes to use either and both.

To use the fat system, the carb levels M UST be decreased to very low by government standards.

( I was able to control gestatioal diabetes by following Atkins recommentdations for eating plenty of the low carb foods listed as ok for Induction.)

When I read the book, I read with distain , expecting another diet book with flawed ideas. HOWEVER, this was a book that hit every nail on the head. After 20 year of not dieting, because all the low fat one left me starving and I would quit after 2 days, I found a diet worth trying. AND IT WORKED. I wasnt hungry.

Getting enough fats is very important to keeping a healthy body. Use butter, lard, coconut oils, etc. Have real eggs, a steak, a drumstick, with a nice pile of mixed greens and a low carb dressing. I like blue cheese. Or ceaser's dressing. ANd sometimes make my own using kombucka and olive oil.

Tonight I had a satisfying sweet: coconut milk mixed with fine coconut, coconut flakes, whole almonds, and a chocolate syrup made from cocoa, butter and coconut oil. Yum. Tastes like an Almond Joy!

It has been 18 years since I first read Dr Atkins book, DANDR. AAnd when I was sent to the dietitian to get a suitable diet for a gestational diabetic, I tossed the information in the trash as I could NOT see how eating grahm crackers with peanut butter as a snack twice a day plus 3 meals would control my blood sugars. Instead on tough mornings, when BG was too high, I warmed a plate of green beans, NOT toast with jam.

You will need to learn how to calculate the number of carbs iin each food you eat. You should find this easy to do. Reading nutrition labels is a must.

I know you can do this!! Why not give it 2 weeks???? The instructions for Atkins are listed here on the forum in a sticky under the Atkins forum. BUt I highly recommend reading the book!!

Dr westmann has taken up the batton for Atkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZsfluh0Uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iA_wRJP0CE

Just find a list of page 4. Personally I use the list here on the Atkins thread.

I hope you will give this a 2 week try. Eat your salt and drink lots of water.