#73   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 08:05

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
However, this guy - "cajunboy47" - who has been posting on this forum for a good while - seems to have reversed his diabetes and can now eat carbs in goodly portions with no blood sugar problems.

I ran across a thread by cajunboy while researching a supplement called berberine. He was taking it for something else and found that his blood glucose went way down.

I started taking berberine a week and a half ago. Unfortunately I'm not diabetic and don't measure my blood sugar, so I don't know if it's helped there. [Hmmm... just re-read this and can't believe I started a sentence with the words "Unfortunately I'm not diabetic..." ]

I picked up on berberine as being helpful in raising adiponectin, a hormone which is higher in the blood of lean people than obese. I seem to remember reading that obese rats given adiponectin for six weeks lost weight, but now I can't find that research.

Apparently berberine is helpful with a wide range of things, including inflammation and diabetes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berberine