View Single Post
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 01:07

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default T2 diabetes can be reversed, it seems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease this year, after 4 1/2 years of low-carbing. But I never thought of it as a "restrictive" diet as I didn't consciously limit calories in any way. Just carbs - plus eliminating gluten grains, sugar, and high-PUFA vegetable oils.

But I can't seem to *add* many carbs back to my diet either, as even a small serving of something carbish - like a little fresh corn on the cob or sweet potato, makes my blood sugar go through the roof! I get PP readings up in the 160s if I add a little extra carbs to my diet.

I mean I tried it the other night when at dinner with friends. I had some fresh corn with my meal, about 1/2 a cob- and stole a few french fries fried in olive oil from my friend's plate. One hour PP reading was 163 and 2 hour PP reading was 154!

Contrast that with today's lunch. It was not carb-free. But I had about 4-5 oz. grass-fed ground beef sauteed with some chopped onion and green pepper, and a bit of tomato sauce, with about 2 tbsp of home-made mayo (using olive oil). My 1 hour PP reading was 121 and my 2 hour PP reading was 116. BIG difference!

So I just can't see increasing my carbs at this point either.

Hi Debbie,

If adding in carbs has such a negative effect on your blood sugar, I totally understand your reluctance to eat them on a regular basis in more than the smallest amounts. However, this guy - "cajunboy47" - who has been posting on this forum for a good while - seems to have reversed his diabetes and can now eat carbs in goodly portions with no blood sugar problems.

Of course, he is a 63yo man with a different profile to you, but, nonetheless, his experience is interesting. He once had to be very careful about his carb intake, but, now, after following his Chinese wife's advice about food and health in general, he is now able to eat a lot more carbs than he used to.

You can read his story here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=416734

amanda