View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 14:03
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Bikram Yoga is the only type of hot yoga that I've done and I love it. Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to, but after a couple of classes you will get over the things that can often put people off.

It's hot, but you get used to it. Ask the teacher where the cool spots in the room are.

I have never noticed any smell out of the ordinary. In fact, I've been in stinkier gyms than a Bikram class room.

The breathing can take a while to get used to. You start lying on your back on your mat. To stand up, you first sit up and quickly exhale the air from your lungs a couple of times before you stand up. I tend to get a head rush and feel faint, but if this happens at any time, just lie back down and breathe.

Let your teacher know if you have any health problems. Some of the moves really work your heart and others can be a bit much on the knees. Just pace yourself.

Don't wear much. When I did it, I wore short shorts and a vest. I took a face cloth in with me for the moves where you have to hold your feet, so that I could grip them without slipping.

If you wear glasses - don't! Either wear contact lenses or take your glasses off. At least I wasn't able to do a class wearing my glasses. The metal will get hot (same goes for jewellery) and they will steam up and slip off your nose.

But, I hope that you give it a few classes before you make up your mind because it is a fantastic exercise to take part in. I just wish I could afford it at the moment.