#18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 05:23

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I don't think that has anything to do with lactic acid. What do you mean?

General Lactic Acid Buildup Information
Lactic acid is a waste product produced by muscle tissue and red blood cells. When oxygen levels are high, the body breaks carbohydrates into water and carbon dioxide, but when oxygen is scarce, carbs used for energy turn into lactic acid. When exercisers “feel the burn”, they are actually experiencing excess amounts of lactic acid in their muscles.

My resting heart rate when I consume a traditional carb diet is around 84BPM. With a low Carb diet my resting HR is 63BPM- I am automatically more efficient at using oxygen by just eating this way. Because I am low carb- my body is in a state of ketosis (as we all know) therefore I do not have the glucose stores for exercise- you hit "the wall" when your body runs out of glucose and begins to use fat for fuel-

There are plenty of runners who run long distances (ultra marathons) on LC. However, I would agree that runners who carb load would be able to run faster times- but for people like me- #1 I am not trying to win a marathon, #2 I can not process carbs- I gain weight, no matter how much I run or exercise, #3- I just enjoy running. #4, we weren't designed to run long distances at max output anyway-

I would venture to say that most runners here are not running world class times either- so if you enjoy running- you can be rest assured that you DO NOT need carbs to do it.