View Single Post
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 06:56

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
"The minute they start to talk about things to eat less of, they invoke nutrients instead of foods," said Marion Nestle, who is the Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition & Food Studies at New York University. "I dare someone to explain saturated fat to me, or to tell me where most sugar or salt comes from in their diet."

I'd like to think that she's saying that she's too dimwitted to understand the explanation. But I think what she means to say is that the average American is too silly to know which foods contain sugar, saturated fat, and salt. I think it's a real problem when somebody who would set themselves up as an educator of the public as to what constitutes a healthful diet has such a dim view of the intelligence of the public.

Besides that--the guidelines do provide charts, showing what foods sugar, salt and saturated fat are coming from in the American diet.

The bit about cholesterol is disheartening;

Quote:
The Key Recommendation from the 2010 Dietary Guidelines to limit consumption of dietary cholesterol to 300 mg per day is not included in the 2015 edition, but this change does not suggest that dietary cholesterol is no longer important to consider when building healthy eating patterns. As recommended by the IOM,individuals should eat as little dietary cholesterol as possible while consuming a healthy eating pattern.