View Single Post
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 18:18

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

No more goat milk. I got some grains and am on the third batch using whole milk and I fermented for about 24 hours - great instruction letter from the amazon seller (MrandMrsKefir) and they are definitely alive and kicking! Lots of curds so I emailed them and they said to wash out the curds, avoid excessive curd build-up. Going to cut down on fermentation time and see how the taste changes. The letter says you'll get perfected kefir after 6-8 batches. Experimentation continues.

Found these:

Kefir & the Atkins Diet 7-18-2017

How Many Calories in Kefir?

Fermentation reduces the calories

Sugar contains 4 calories per gram. One cup of whole milk has 12 grams of sugar (lactose) and 148 calories. Fermentation reduces the calories by 44 since most of the 12 grams of sugars will be gone. This would make whole milk per cup, 104 calories versus 148 calories, and the sugar count would then be 1 gram or less, depending on how long you ferment it. There will be fewer calories in lower fat milk, but this is a general rule. The microbes eat the milk sugars as a food source and you get probiotics instead of sugar. Pretty cool, don’t you think?