Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 11:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerimac42
I had my 6 month checkup and here are my numbers if someone can help me understand i would appreciate it.

I know my HDL is better and my Trig and A1c is better , but why is my total cholesterol and LDL worse , i dont know if i understand all the technical stuff could somoen explain ? or give me something to read that i'll understand ?

Thanks for your help , im worried , what do i need to do now. ive been on low carb for about 5 months now and lost about 34 lbs

Please take a few minutes to read the first page or so of articles. They're not all super technical. If you're really concerned then spend a little time reading and getting up to speed on the issue. Most people just turn over responsibility for their health to their doctors who mismanage it.

Your LDL is only slightly lower though, 142. Probably because your Triglycerides are still pretty close to 100.

You look like you might be diabetic though with that A1C and diabetics usually have high triglycerides. Are you taking anything to treat the diabetes?

Drinking booze, of any sort, also increases triglycerides. I think Vit. D3 deficiency is another thing that can too. Dr. Davis says eating wheat is another factor.

But as long as your triglycerides are low (60 or less is ideal) then your LDL cholesterol will be harmless. Your HDL is also excellent, and it is very protective.

In other words, the only thing you have to worry about here is lowering your triglycerides a little more and getting your blood sugar problems under better control. Your A1C is much too high.

I certainly wouldn't go on statins for numbers like those, I'd work on the blood sugar, take fish oil, D3, maybe no-flush niacin if the LDL really scared me (but it shouldn't) and eliminate wheat.

Dr. Davis, cardiologist, has a really great blog and a program called "Track your Plaque". http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com