#259   ^
Old Sat, May-25-13, 19:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck41
You did not state what "low carb" or "no carb" sweetener the Kroger diet sodas contain. In recent times it seems that almost every diet soda I can find has gone to exclusively using aspartame as its sweetining component. That has been reported to cause stalls on LC for years, but I don't know about raised glucose levels.

Personally, I won't touch it for other health reasons. Aspertame has been strongly indicated in numerous reports of neurological and behavorial problems with its use as well as in several animal studies. It is amazing to me that wiith all the adverse reports it has not been restricted as a food additive.

I have taken to using "senior lemonaid" instead of diet soda because of the aspertame. A small bit of lemon juice in a glass with sweet n low or stevia sweetener and fill with water and ice. YMMV

Lemonaid, that I make here, Iced tea...again I make it...or water is about all I drink now. Occasionally I will buy an unsweetened iced tea when out as long as it is real brewed tea..but mostly I drink water.

Stevia or organic (ALWAYS organic) honey are the only sweeteners I use and they are used VERY sparingly!Most folks do not like my lemonade as tart as I make it!

I used to drink diet soda, a lot...but I would get this weird, I dunno, tight feeling in my lower rear back (kidneys) it was the same type of feeling I get when I was about to have a kidney stone episode! I have been diet soda free for over a month now and have not once had that feeling when I used to have it almost all the time! And if I drank too much diet soda and too little water it got worse!

I also had issues with horrible after taste and dry mouth when drinking diet soda, or crystal light for that matter. Soooo, all the "diet" and "no sugar added" items are pretty much off my list! It is a slow process weeding them out but as I find them, poof! They are gone!