#3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 08:22

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Thanks to NancyLC on this board, and her famous Get your salt! thread, I have been happily indulging, to the point of getting a bag of pink Himalyan sea salt. Yes, I can tell the difference. This stuff tastes better. ( also take kelp tablets and eat seafood because I'm not getting my iodine from table salt anymore... and I don't have thyroid issues. If you do, this needs to be further researched, I understand.)

Yesterday I got out my leftover chuck roast and added LOTS of salt

Yes, I've been doing the same thanks to Nancy's post. I read The Salt Fix by James DiNicolantonio, PharmD, and Amy's review is an excellent summary. Salt is really important, and DiNicolantonio disputes recent cherished myths such as how salt causes high blood pressure. I was able to achieve normal blood pressure on LCHF with ample amounts of salt consumed in the process. Older people especially need a good base of salt each day for beneficial reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It's a good look and just another facet of how everything we have been told... is wrong.

I've decided that this is because when we are in a high carb environment; nothing in our bodies works the way it should. Low salt, low fat, low calorie; it's all distorted for short term adjustment that ignores the long term, terrible, effects.

As I'm finishing Undoctored by William Davis, this is one of the core observations, our diet has been distorted to favor high carbs such as sugar and grains (whole or refined, it makes no significant difference leading to a negative health outcome) and coupled with the recommendation to reduce saturated fats has resulted in Metabolic Syndrome and all its symptoms along with an alarming increase in obesity in the population. These were not our grandparents' and previous generations' foods, and the whole "movement" fostered by political (government inserting itself trying to help eradicate heart disease), business (food manufacturers creating in their labs frankenfoods that are low in salt and fat), and pharma (developing pills to treat symptoms without identifying the overall root cause) interests.

Yes, nothing works the way it should because we've been told to eat differently than humans should.