View Single Post
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:45

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Cool Evil hidden carbs

I'll take a stab at the hidden carbs issue. I quit using *any* brand of low-carb bars quite some time ago--and I was a heavy user, too. I'd eat three or four of 'em in a day.

Yes, those "other" grams of carbs are supposed to be undigestible. They're glycerine, or sugar alcohols, or both. However, just because they don't affect your blood sugar/insulin doesn't mean they don't affect you at all. For me, they caused stalls. For some other folks, they stop ketosis pronto. Maybe you'll be one of the people they don't affect at all. If so, that's great for you. But it's still important to be aware of just how many grams of carbs you're ingesting. The only ones Atkins allows you to subtract from your daily count are those from fiber. These "hidden" ones still count against your daily total. So, if you've been counting 2g, and you eat four of those things that are really 6g, that's 24g of carbs already, not the 8g you *were* counting--and you haven't even had any veggies!

YMMV, of course, but for my money I'm way better off without the "fake food." I'd rather spend my carbs on good lowcarb bread and tasty veggies and unsweetened blackberries, than glycerine and sorbitol/maltitol/etc.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide about the bars. The main thing is to learn what works *for you* and stick with it.