View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 21:49

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Just saw this thread for the first time. I have a dear friend who is a county extension home economist, and I got this information from her. I have my own hens at home - spoiled rotten they are - so I never worried much about my eggs, but I'm prone to guilt, and would feel awful if my homemade mayo made someone in my family sick.

So....here is how to pasteurize eggs at home. I've done it, and they do get hot all the way through (paranoid me has cracked some and temped the center of the yolk with a probe thermometer) They feel really hot when you first take them from the water, but they are not cooked at all at this temperature.

I'm copying-pasting my own post on another forum:

My friend the food safety lady posted about how to pasteurize eggs.

Basically, you put enough water to cover the egg/s in a pan and bring it to 140 degrees. Put the egg/s in, monitor the temp as keep it as close to 140 as possible for about 5 minutes (to allow temp to penetrate through the egg). Use or chill in cold water, and then refrigerate.

I tried it yesterday, and when I took the egg out of the water, it felt so hot - I was sure I'd have a partly cooked egg. It was actually perfectly raw, and worked great for my second batch of mayo.

And then, if you want to make mayo, eat them raw, whatever, you can without worry. Hope this helps.