View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 10:38
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I adapted the recipe below from one I found in the recipe section of this site.

Flax-blueberry-nut-cinnamon muffins

3 eggs
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup (could use honey or stevia, I'm sure)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
sm container blueberries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (non-aluminum kind)
2 tablespoons cinnamon (yes, the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. Add in the blueberries and nuts. In separate small bowl, combine dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350º 18-20 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator. Can be frozen.

I used Grade B maple syrup instead of the DaVinci syrup called for in the original recipe, but I'm sure honey or stevia could be used instead. This made the muffins total probably 5-6 carbs each. I get this syrup in bulk from the HFS and it's supposed to be very healthy with gobs of vitamins and minerals. In fact, there is a fast called the Master Cleanse that uses this syrup, mixed with lemon juice and cayenne pepper in pure water, as the only nourishment during the fast. I have never had an adverse blood sugar effect from Grade B.

These muffins are absolutely exquisite! My husband had 2 muffins for dessert last night after I went to bed. He said he could've sat there and eaten 6 of them! He would've have hell to pay to me for eating them up so quickly! Next time, we'll replace the blueberries with cranberries!