Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290.5/225/170
BF:
Progress: 54%
Thumbs up

Hello fellow low carbers.

Sorry to be so long winded but this is a story that I believe is worth sharing. I share it in the hope that it can serve as motivation for anyone who needs it.

I have been low carbing with Dr. Atkins since 10/22/02. Since then I have lost 52.5 lbs and feel like a million bucks. I started at 290.5 lbs and am now down to 238 lbs with a goal weight of 170 lbs. I am 5' 8" with a medium to heavy frame.

Two years ago, at 43, I was diagnosed with idiopathic non-ischemic cardiomyopathy. Idiopathic because they don't know what caused it, most likely a virus but they can't be positive. Non-ischemic because it doesn't involve the vascular or arterial systems, phew!!! Cardiomyopathy because my heart is enlarged. Bottom line, basically the heart just doesn't work as efficiently as it should. Most people's heart works at about 70% - 75% efficiency, mine was around 20% efficient. I couldn't get up in the morning and get dressed without being completely out of breath. With medication efficiency went to 35%. I felt better but not good. I weighed in at around 275 lbs at that time.

Unfortunately my first reaction was to give up. In the midst of some serious depression over the next two years I had gained another 15 lbs, up to 290lbs. Now I felt as bad as I did when I was diagnosed. I couldn't walk across the parking lot at work without becoming seriously winded.

I had read about Atkins but didn't really believe it, just sounded like another weight loss scheme to me. Then I met someone at a new job that was practicing Atkins. He was an older man, 66, with diabetes and he related what seemed a pretty miraculous story to me concerning his experience with Atkins. I decided to try it.

That was 4 and 1/2 months ago. I am now down to 238 lbs and steadily loosing. Still in induction and handling it well. I do 20 - 30 minutes of cardio work out on a stationary bike every day. I also walk aprox. 2 miles each day and I am beginning a strength-training program. My triglyceride levels are down below 200 from 484. My blood pressure is down to 117/68 from 145/90.

Bottom line, I am alive and kicking butt. Mortality is a great motivator. Please don't let it go this far before you decide to do something about your problem. I feel that the most likely cause of my heart disease was obesity, poor diet, and fatigue. Not a very healthy combination. Whether you use Atkins, Protein Power, or one of the other LC plans. Do it, do it now and stay with it.

P.S. I am now also a religious follower of Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient solution.