#5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 19:11

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think we have only begun to understand how nutrition helps or hurts our brains.

That’s the truth! I find with one of my boys the less carbs he eats, the better his focus. Fortunately, he now believes it too and has really cut back on his bread, sugar, and French fries.. He’s now at college doing quite well completely med free. Also, another of our boys suffered from seizures as a young child. I remember when he was a baby and I would take him and his big sister to McDonalds. I would buy one burger for them to split. She would eat the plain hamburger and he would eat the bun. Come to find out that the ketogenic diet is actually a treatment for children with epilepsy. Could all those carbs have caused his seizures? On the other hand, I’ve had other kids who loved carbs, but he’s the only one with seizures so I suppose there must be some genetic component.

I personally believe that carb overload contributes to overall poor brain health.

Also, I believe that Hitler was a vegetarian. Im reasonably certain he was both evil and insane before he was a vegetarian, but it’s interesting to speculate about a possible vicious circle: i.e. maybe he developed an aversion to meat precisely because something in his brain was so off. And maybe the more nutionally deficient he became, the more warped he got. Or maybe what food he preferred had nothing to do with his warped mind. Who knows?

ETA: lots of vegetarians and vegans on my husband’s side of the family. I would say there’s a very strong personality type on that side too, but the personality seems to be there irrespective of vegetarianism/veganism. Also lots of depression and schizophrenia on that side. Very different type of personality runs strongly on my side of the family but zero vegetarians - in fact we are carnivores who seek out very rare beef. No depression, but lots of alcoholism on my side.

Eta2. Not saying at all that vegetarians are mentally ill. But I am wondering if genetic predispositions toward mental illnesses can be exacerbated by our diets.