View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-30-10, 15:56

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think you are right, it's taking out the bad stuff like refined grains and trans fats. If someone wants to get quality protein from dark leafy greens, it is possible, but yucky if you ask me. I'm also a fiber skeptic. But I don't think we know enough to say that *everyone* should do badly or well on either end of the diet poles, so why couldn't someone do well on a smart vegan diet - as long as they got real B12.

You really have to check out the individuals and not the web sites - which naturally will highlight the successes. Every real-life McDougaller I ever met was overweight with a lot of bad symptoms, not being successful (yet), always blamed herself for not being diligent enough, while still having mucho grains on that starch-based program. Can't really fault someone for trying, though, we all get attracted to a food program that seems to resonate.

For an amusing take on McDougall, check out Mark Sisson's "Escape from Vegan Island." He went with family and friends who are McDougall ites and thinks the guy is sincere, just misguided for most metabolisms.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vegan-island/

Don't know anyone personally on Furhman.