Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/152/160 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaslucas
Howdy folks,

I'm new to the forum. In the last couple of months I've reduced my carb intake dramatically and I'm seeing the results. I'm also a fitness nut, though, and while I find that some carbs are necessary for me if I dont want my workouts to be a hellish slog through exhaustion... So far, a formula that seems to work for me is eating plenty of vegetables, including some starchy vegetables, and one cup of brown rice with my evening meal (I work out in the mornings). I don't need refined sugar, at all, I'm happy to say...

I'd be interested to know how other athletic types have navigated this issue? What works for you?

Thanks!
Lucas

Look into CKD and TKD type diets, (cyclic and targeted ketogenic Diets respectively). I do think you will have different needs if you are truly a fitness nut, so keep that in mind. Here is a link talking about it
http://www.ruled.me/3-ketogogenic-diets-skd-ckd-tkd/ I haven't read that, so maybe I should link it, but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

If you are looking for straight information about Ketogenic Diets, I would advise getting some books. I started with Atkins a very long time ago(1998 I think), which was informative at the time, I think you can skip it though. I'm not sure if I'll be breaking forum rules saying this, but "the Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald is a must read in my opinion, he has other books targeted more towards weight lifters, but the basics of why low carb diets work are outlined there.

I personally don't do ketogenic diets really, unless and when I want to lean out. I do eat fruit on most days. My diet is more or less just real foods, meats, fish, eggs, veggies, fruits and such, just minus rice and potatoes and starchy veggies like corn. I've been doing this a long time, and it's very much a low carb way of eating, when you don't eat packaged(processed) food, carbs are hard to get outside potatoes or rice.