View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 10:44

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Not sure where we learned this, maybe America's test kitchen...but once an avocado gets ripe and you are not ready to eat it, just put it in the fridge until ready. We've had avocados last several days after ripe this way. You can allow them to return to room temp for a while before cutting if you dont like them cold.

We also, if not eating the second half of an avocado, leave the pit/seed in the unused half, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and it keeps easily till the next day at least...rub a thin coat of lime juice on the exposed flesh and it lasts even longer before browning. Cut avocado will last a bit if you gently toss the pieces with lime juice too.

Fresh guac will last better with a thin layer of lime juice on top in the container in the fridge, and we also found pressing a layer of plastic wrap directly on to the top of the guac, then covering with the lid (we use pyrex glass storage with the plastic lids), keeps guac pretty well. Be sure to press the guac and dont leave any air pockets down underneath the surface.

I stopped buying pre-made guac. Have never found one worthy since learning how to make it properly at home.

Alton Brown's old school recipe is perfect guac every single time, but on low carb I cut back on the tomatoes a bit. It's not hard to make and uses up three avocados, and will keep for a few days in the fridge with methods I mentioned above. Might turn color just a bit on the surface but you never know it once re-stirred/mixed before serving.

Hard part is knowing if you have a good avocado...you never know until you actually cut it. Some seem perfectly ripe and have those almost fibrous strands of brown through them, or just a big ole brown spot. Hit or miss for me.