View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%
Angry Diabetes and LC

Something happened this week that really disturbed me! My grandmother handed me a little booklet she received in the mail, by the editors of Prevention Magazine (supposedly a health mag for those who don't know). The booklet is called Outsmarting Diabetes, and I was sickened by what I found inside. They had all kinds of tips and info for diabetics, including things like "eat nine servings of vegetables and fruits everyday", "eat three to six whole grain foods every day", "eat beans at least 5 times per week", on and on it went. In other words, they're advocating a high-carb, low-fat diet!

There were even more shocking things in the book, such as this suggestion: "Forego a carbohydrate and a fat serving at the same meal to leave room for dessert" (this was accompanied by a photo of a HUGE slice of choclate cake). In the back of the book they have recipes, all of them high carb. The dessert section is filled with "treats" that are loaded with refined white sugar!!!

And finally, the most shocking thing of all was this warning: "TAKE CONTROL: Avoid Wacky Diets - Experts recommend that you don't try any odd eating trends like the high-protein diets that recently gained popularity. This and other unbalanced diets may put undue strain on your body. Instead, stick to a well-rounded, low-fat, high fiber diet."

So eating lots of sugar is a "well-rounded" diet??!! I could not believe my eyes as I read this booklet. Maybe I'm just overreacting. Is it possible that some diabetics could do well on this type of diet? Maybe LC isn't for everyone. But it makes me sick to think that they could be causing even more problems for diabetics than they already have!

I should state here that I'm not diabetic, nor is anyone in my family, except my grandmother's sister, who has since passed away due to her disease. I can't help thinking that her doctors failed her by probably putting her on a diet just like the one I've described above. Who knows, maybe it was her whispering in my ear to change my eating habits before I ended up following the same path she did in her life. I do take after her in alot of ways, and I have no doubt that I would have ended up a diabetic if I hadn't taken control now. Maybe that's why I'm taking this so personally. Anyway, thanks for listening to my ranting and raving. I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on this!

Wendy
Sponsored Links